Saturday, May 10, 2014

It's a rainy day in Chattanooga, but the coffee is hot and the honey bun was good!  

I guess there is one thing on all our minds this weekend - our Mothers.  Let me tell you a little about mine.

     She was a lot more patient with me, than I ever have been with my own children.  She didn't yell - at all!

     She made sure (as a single parent) that I had what I needed, participated in the things that I was interested in.

     She was a hugger.

     After I married we never failed to talk to one another on the telephone and she would always say 'I love you' before I did.  I miss that.  She visited me on the Sunday before she died on Monday, and yes, we did hug and say I love you before she left that day.

     When I did wrong things, she never judged me.  She always said, 'whatever you are doing, I have already done, so never be afraid to talk to me about it.'

     My Mother was 60 when she had a heart attack and died.  It has been a long 39 years without her.


     I've spent more than half my life without my mother. Does it sound odd to hear that I still miss her, even after 39 years? I used to think that feeling sad two years, five years, even 10 years after her death meant I'd somehow grieved wrong. But now I know differently. Mourning is a lifelong process, especially for children who lose a mother young.

     This year marks the 100th anniversary of Mother's Day as an official, national holiday. Let's remember, too, Anna Jarvis, the woman responsible for lobbying President Wilson to create the national holiday -- herself a motherless daughter.






     

  



8 comments:

  1. What a lovely post. Happy Mother's Day..Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my friend. I wish you a Happy Mother's Day too!

      Delete
  2. It's never wrong to mourn for your mother, no matter how many years have passed. She is the woman responsible for us being here and we should always feel a part of us was lost the day she died. After all, her's was the first heart beat we heard. I hope you have a great Mother's Day. God bless my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had a wonderful Mom. I have to tell you that my Mom was similar, and the way she passed was also similar. She came to see me on Sunday evening, then passed of a heart attack on Monday. She was 69 and it's been 11 years.
    From what I see here, you are a lot like your mom! Happy Mothers Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom has been gone 19 years, Linda, and I still miss her all the time. It sounds like we were both blessed with selfless, warm, giving moms. I think you are more like her than you know or acknowledge! You are right, though, that we are all thinking of our moms this weekend. Love & hugs!! Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Mom was a treasure. I wish she was still with us too. I don't think we ever get over loosing a precious loved one but we learn to deal with it. That's what I've had to do also. I pray that this weekend will be easier somehow and only happy memories flood in. God bless. ~:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful post, my friend...
    And your mother was a beautiful woman.
    She lives on in you, your children, and grandchildren.
    And thank you. My father has been gone for only 3 months.
    I know now I will never ever stop missing him...
    Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete